Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Oh the irony ....

Many weeks ago, I started writing a blog on office morale.  I did this mainly because our office morale had hit rock bottom. I had decided  to experiment and see what I could do to get some of the good ole morale back. I had drafted out a plan and was about to put it into place. While still finalizing the blog and the plan, I was called into my boss' office and told that I was being laid off due to lack of work. Here, I had worked for this office for 26 years, been through the thick and the thin, and I was being laid off. You can imagine my shock. I knew work was slow, but no cut backs had been instigated, no rules put into place regarding paper usage, the office was still purchasing snacks and drinks for the staff, and no money saving measures were mentioned. In fact, new copiers had just been leased and the office had contracted with a company for coffee and drink services.  So, of course, you can imagine my surprise and hurt.

As the senior employee, the thought that I would be the one let go first should business not pick up never entered my mind. I had specialized skills and was the "go to" person for certain projects.  Obviously, I should not have thought I had job security. 

Hurt and confused, I spent the next day basically curled up in a ball. "26 years" kept going through my mind over and over.  How do you get rid of someone who has worked for you for so long? The biggest hurt was I wasn't even told thank you for all my years of service and loyalty. I was just handed a folder, told I was being laid off due to lack of work and informed that I could go ahead and leave for the day and make arrangements to get my belongings. I think I did okay. I didn't pass out or throw up -- though I felt like I could at any moment. I did not really breakdown until I actually left the office. Oddly, after hearing the news, all I could think about was the fact that I just bought a new car (previously used) and the fact that I would no longer see the people that I were my co-workers.

I was "let go" on a Thursday -- isn't that an odd day of the week to let someone go!  So, I had Friday and the weekend to wallow in self pity.  That's what I did -- at least, that is what I attempted to do, but my family had other ideas. Course, that didn't stop me from crying.  I felt like someone had died! I was going through, and am still going through, all of the grief stages - sadness, denial, anger, etc. That next Monday was really hard.  Imagine waking up at your normal time thinking "oh, it's time to get going and get ready" and then it hits you.  Nope, no work for you! No, you are not wanted or needed there any longer.  Fortunately, the love of my life is a proactive individual and he had made sure I was up and out and working toward getting unemployment and starting my job search. He is a God send!

So, here I am. It has been almost three weeks since I lost my job. I'm still searching. I have had two interviews that I hope are promising. I now get up, get on the computer and start searching the job sites for gainful employment. I'm keeping my hopes up. I am better off than most and I have the most amazing support system. I have to believe the old saying "when one door closes, another one opens." It is hard to keep the optimistic attitude, but I have to believe that God has a plan and he will show me in good time.  I'm hoping He remembers I can be kind of slow interpreting his message. So, prayers to everyone and have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment